Stay tuned for out next Sketchcrawl! Check our DC forum & FB Group for Updates!

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Great Falls National Park


At the Urban Sketchers Symposium in Paraty, Kiah Kiean did a wonderful demo showing how he sketches using a dry twig and Chinese ink - after which, he gave each of us a sharpened twig from his front yard, and a little ink to try it on our own. Since coming home, I've been wanting to go out and try this in my neighborhood.

I went hiking in Great Falls National Park today with a few friends, and they humored me while I stopped to sketch. I thought the rocks and the falls might make a good subject to try out the dry twig technique on. I decided to add watercolor when I got home - while Kiah's sketches stand alone in black and white, I haven't quite mastered value the way he has, and I thought I needed some color for contrast.

The visitors' centers in the National Parks sell these little 'passport' booklets that you can use to keep track of what parks you've visited, and each park has its own stamp you can use in the passport. I don't have one of the booklets, but I sometimes stamp my sketchbook (if I remember, and can find the stamp). After stamping my Mather Gorge sketch, though, I noticed that someone had dialed the date on the stamp to "Oct 44 2014". Thanks for that.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful sketches! I heard a lot about the beauty of Great Falls National Park and I want to go to visit this stunning attraction after completing my boston to Philadelphia tour in upcoming vacations. Joel! Let me know; is winter good to explore this beautiful park? Guide me! How can I make my tour memorable?

    ReplyDelete