Stay tuned for out next Sketchcrawl! Check our DC forum & FB Group for Updates!

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Morning Sketches a good habit to cultivate.

This past two months I have moved from outside in the garden drawing each morning to inside the house. The little sketch book I use gets a new sketch each morning after my journal pages are written. There is a great variation in my concentration and energies for drawing from one morning to the next but in the end it is always worth 5-30 minutes to do a sketch.
Early in this series, I gave up drawing after only two, out of three orchids.
Chartreuse and white lady slippers orchids in the studio. 

Drawing first thing in the morning makes me more aware of my state of mind each day. Eventually, by creating a new sketch each day, the books fill up faster than they used to do when it was only an impulse that made me sketch. It is very exciting to have a series to reflect on, which took only a little effort each morning.  In winter my subjects tend to be piles of things in the studio or living rooms. The best of all subjects are the cut flowers and bowls of fruits. 


Somedays one orchid was enough effort to draw.


This is a cut flower I haven't had before, the exotic chartreuse green and white lady slipper orchids (Cypripedioidea)  My partner brought them home Nov. 5th and still today, Dec. 4th they are looking good. Only one has turned from chartreuse green to a mellow lemon yellow but since these are cut flowers it's amazing how long they have lasted. Let me take this as a chance to give a sincere thank you to the man who brings me flowers and tends our garden!




No comments:

Post a Comment