Stay tuned for out next Sketchcrawl! Check our DC forum & FB Group for Updates!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Meet the sketcher: CAPITOL HILL, DC > Erin Malick Thompson


"A Philly native, I have been living in DC since 2000. I'm a graphic and web designer and love it.

When I'm urban sketching, my interest is in the people. I started figure drawing through the first-Sunday gatherings at the MOCA Gallery in Georgetown, and over the past few years, I've enjoyed a few sessions of life drawing at the Capital Hill Arts Workshop.

But what I really enjoy is non-posed, spontaneous pen sketches of my fellow commuters and coffee shop goers. Because my subjects are unaware that I'm drawing them and naturally move so frequently, I don't have time to be fussy, as I would be on long-pose drawings of a paid model. The result is always more free and expressive. And it's been really surprising and rewarding how many people show interest as I'm sketching and how many ask whether I draw for the courts!"

Erin's portfolio
Erin's blog
Erin's sketches on Facebook
Erin's Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment